I’m working on a series of posts on everything you need to know about self publishing. My experience is in education so much of what I write will be best for teachers or non-fiction. However, self publishing is self publishing and a book is a book, so there should be something here for every author. I’m covering resources you need and where to get them. What can you do yourself and what are the advantages of hiring a professional editor or book designer? What should you expect when hiring a professional and how can you spot scams? Do you need a self publishing services company?
I also talk about topics that first time self-publishers may not be familiar with such as meta-data and ISBNs. I also discuss copyright issues for indie publishers. And I discuss where to sell your book, with a focus on print-on-demand services like Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing, IngramSpark from Ingram Content Group and more.
I’m hoping to turn this into a comprehensive guide for all educators looking to self-publish, so feel free to leave comments with your own advice. Or send in questions in comments or by email and let me know what else you’d like to learn about.
Posts about Self-Publishing
- What should I publish and what probably won’t work very well?
- Should I do any kind of market research before finishing my manuscript?
- Can I edit my own book?
- How can I get a nice cover for my book?
- Where do I get illustrations, particularly if I’m on a budget?
- How do I get my book or ebook formatted and ready for publication?
- What are the different kinds of publishing companies and services and how can I avoid being scammed or overcharged?
- What’s an ISBN and how do I get one?
- What should my copyright page have on it?
- How do I get my book formatted as a print book or ebook?
- What companies should I upload my self-published book to?
- How is IngramSpark different from KDP?
- How can I market my book to teachers and educators?
- Do I need an author page?
Reviews of Author Tools
We are available as publishing consultants to demystify the publishing process and provide quality services at an affordable price. We can help you at any point in your publishing career: refining an idea, editing, book design, cover design, distribution, marketing, sales accounting, and more. Check out our design portfolio or get in touch to let us know how we might help you.