Only the Best Intentions is the second book in the Integrated Skills Through Drama series, coursebooks that teach communication skills through an original one-act play. Only the Best Intentions follows the busy Curry family as they prepare for daughter Gigi’s big wedding. Until she discovers her fiancé wants to be a professional computer game player. The family tries to help Gigi decide whether to break it off or support his dream. But in a modern romance the rules of the game change faster than a smartphone app updates!
Besides teaching speaking and performance skills, the play and accompanying readings raise questions about family in the age of screens, tech addiction, and whether esports are a real thing (your students will love knowing more about this than you!). Create a fun, dynamic classroom environment with this new and creative teaching method!
As students prepare to perform the play, they will practice many skills:
- Pronunciation Practice: Sentence stress
- Pragmatics Practice: Consoling someone
- Production Skills: Learning a part and staging plays for students
- Attentive Listening: esports vs. real sports
- Readings on the growing world of esports, the realities of having a gamer in the family, and family life in the age of screens.
- Debate and Discussion: What are esports? How do they compare to other sports? How is technology affecting family and social lives?
- Creative Writing
Download a sample of Only the Best Intentions
Looking for press information? Get in touch.